“Eat like a king in eight easy steps.” – John John Florence
1. Wait for low tide and pick only the submerged ones (not the dry ones exposed to the sun).
2. Only take what you can eat in places where it’s legal to collect and eat them recreationally (For example, in California, you can only take them for fish bait).
3. Thoroughly scrub each mussel and pull the “beard” (the tissue that connects them to the rocks).
4. Boil a pot of butter, white wine, onion, garlic, and pepper.
5. Add mussels. Let boil for no more than 4-5 minutes.
7. Eat only the ones that naturally opened during the boil (the other ones should be discarded).
8. Enjoy straight out the shell.
Watch the recipe in action, then get your own copy of the Field Guide to Waterman Things at a surf shop near you.
Surfline | 3 years ago
Hurley | 2 weeks ago
Hurley | 1 month ago
Hurley | 2 months ago
Hurley | 3 months ago
Hurley | 4 months ago
Hurley | 5 months ago
Hurley | 6 months ago
Hurley | 7 months ago